Do you or your partner suffering from snoring? Is lack of sleep taking the edge of your smile? Would you like to learn more about Sleepwell Anti Snoring Appliances which are available from Far Headingley Dental Care?
Unfortunately it is now that time of year where the central heating comes on, we’re inside more and there are more bugs in the air. This can lead to congestion and snoring. It could also be caused by one of several other factors including alcohol consumption, excessive weight or smoking.
The NHS Website suggests 5 ways to stop snoring.
These are …
1. Maintain a healthy weight and diet. Being overweight by just a few kilos can lead to snoring. Fatty tissue around your neck squeezes the airway and prevents air flowing in and out freely.
2. Try to sleep on your side rather than your back. While sleeping on your back, your tongue, chin and any excess fatty tissue under your chin can relax and squash your airway. Sleeping on your side prevents this.
3. Avoid alcohol before going to bed. Alcohol makes your muscles relax more than usual during a normal night’s sleep. This may encourage the back of your throat to collapse as you breathe, which causes snoring.
4. Quit or cut down on smoking. Cigarette smoke irritates the lining of your nose and throat, causing swelling and catarrh. This means airflow is decreased and you’re more likely to snore.
5. Keep your nose clear, so that you breathe in through your nose rather than your mouth. If an allergy is blocking your nose, try antihistamine tablets or a nasal spray. Ask your pharmacist for advice, or see your GP, if you’re affected by an allergy or any other condition that affects your nose or breathing, such as sinusitis.
Failing this advice, it also suggests devices to help you stop snoring by improving your airways.
At Far Headingley Dental Care we can provide you (or your partner) with a Sleepwell Anti-Snoring Appliance.
Sleepwell is a special dental device that prevents the lower jaw from dropping back during sleep. This prevents the closure of your airways during sleep. This provides an effective stop snoring remedy. High levels of patient comfort meant that during clinical trials over 95% of patients found Sleepwell an acceptable snoring remedy.